. Free Will
ESSAYS: ORGAN MUSIC
. British Organs
. Hymn Playing
. Music Lovers
. Quiz Archive
. Book Reviews
Quiz of the Month (January 2003)
Hector C. Parr
SOLUTION TO LAST MONTH'S QUIZ
1. 87.5 p
2. 9 hr. 15 m.
3. 9 hr. 33 m. 20 s.
1. Suppose present cost = x pence/litre
Then previous cost = x - 7
So 25(x - 7) = 23 x
Solving, x = 87.5
2. Assume some definite distance between KX and York.
(We will choose 200 ml.)
Then speed of each train = 100 mph.
At 8:30 trains are 150 ml apart, and approaching at 200 mph.
So time taken to meet = 150/200 = 3/4 hr.
3. Speed of train from York = 200/2.5 = 80 mph.
At 9:00 trains are 100 ml apart, and approaching at 180 mph.
So time taken to meet = 100/180 = 5/9 hr.
THIS MONTH'S QUIZ
There were six cars on a garage forecourt. Three passers-by, A, B and C, commented as follows:
A. "At least one of those cars is a Ford."
B. "More than one of those cars is a Ford."
C. "More than one of those cars is not a Ford."
What can you say about the number of Ford cars if:
1. A was correct but B was not?
2. B was correct but C was not?
3. Only one of the three comments was correct?
(c) Hector C. Parr (2003)
Go to Quiz Archive
Back to Home Page